Monday, November 8, 2010

- Vision -

These are 'cornerstones' of my vision:

1) To stay atop of my work.  For now, this applies to school.  I'm referring to, of course, the infamous 'time management' goal.  I always seem to never have enough time for what I'm supposed to do.  Yet, when deadlines come I suddenly find ways to complete it(but under a lot of stress).  So I plan to "start before the semester starts."  By this I mean reading any course related material.  During the semester I will read ahead so that lectures serve as a review for me.  Finally, I'll prioritize schoolwork before leisure.  To not play games when I have work in the queue.

2) to be able to present my ideas clearly, whether in speeches or in writing.  To hone my writing skills, I need to read more literature (other than textbooks!) during my free time.  Then I will practice reinterpreting and summarizing what I read.  With practice, I will eventually reach my goal.

3) To lead a stable life.  By this I mean I would like to stay financially sound and to spend time wisely.  I'm already on the path to completing this goal by learning essentials skills in Baruch.  I consider accounting as very practical even if I don't work in an accounting-related job.  After I graduate, I'll spend some time in internships and work two years or so.  I will return to school to study and to later take the CPA exam.  I'll just let life flow for a bit then. 

8 comments:

  1. Man, I can only tell you the older you get the less time you feel you will have. More responsibilities, more distractions but same amount of time. I miss my sleeping time nowadays i barely sleep don't know whats going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. Reading can helps you improve the writing skill. Especially for english as second language student. I also learn English like that, but my english still need to improved. lol! Practice more, then you memorize more. Hope you can achieve it. Whis you luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leung

    I totaly understang your vision of expressing yourself in writting better. I have the same issue, in school i can still work on it or get away from it however in real life it will be difficult. I don't think my boss will understand if i tell him that i can't write the memo because i'm not so good in writing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your first goal or vision, is what most of us try to obtain as a way of life and not just with school. I know you do a good job at it as well because I always see you reading ahead of time, so it is good to see you actually following through with you goals or taking the necessary steps to see them through. As for your second vision, a quote comes to mind. Socrates once said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is a habit." That to me sums up what you want to be in the second vision, excellent. Which in and of itself is a great goal to have in life. As for the third one, your patience shines right through. Your non-chalant attitude shows how confident you are in everything working out so there is no need to stress out about it. Great job Cheuk, I wouldn't worry about my future if I were you either, you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that time management can be tough sometimes, and it can be very stressful when it seems like there is never enough time for things. I often feel like that, but also I think I do manage time well sometimes and still run out of time. Sometimes there just is so much to do, and so many assignments due, that it somehow takes up most of our time. However, there is always improvements we can do, to manage our time better. I want to improve that too. Also, I feel that when I have more to do, I also do more and want to do more, rather than when I have more spare time I sometimes also find myself doing less or not wanting to do as much. Maybe it gives us more energy to be out and about and doing a lot.

    I also agree with you about that when deadlines come, usually I am able to finish an assignment right on time somehow. I wonder how that happens. Maybe it's easier to manage time better specifically when having a very limited amount of time to use.

    That's good that you're planning to read things more in advance. Good plan! Also, reading and writing more, like you mentioned, will definitely help in writing better.

    Good luck in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I really respect your assertiveness! You clearly put down on paper what you are planning to achieve and that shows that you are not afraid to take responsibility for your actions. From what I have observed so far this semester, you are willing to put in the work necessary to progress and you have a calm, amiable personality. I sometimes too struggle with "staying on top of things" and I have learned (I'm pretty sure that I learned this from you) that clear, well-defined goals keep us on track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog post really reinforced many ideas i always think about. I couldn't stress more how important are the few things you mentioned. I always say to myself I need to prioritize school work before leisure, or read more literature, or do better in accounting! Problem is I don't always do what I need to do. Every year I see myself getting better at time management and prioritizing but I believe I still have a long way to go and there is always room for more improvement. I think i'll start right now by writing my 5th blog assignment instead of waiting till 11 PM tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stable life is definitely something I think you can sustain as long as you pick a career that you would really enjoy. Staying financially sound will allow you to live a good life. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete