Friday, November 12, 2010

A 'Special' Order

I went into my local McDonald’s at around 9:00pm.  I could tell that they usually don’t experience much traffic at this hour by the presence of a single cashier, food preparation worker, and manager.  No one else was there, so I was less anxious about causing a commotion with my order.  I stepped up to the cashier and he asked me what I would like.  I began my order by saying, “I would like one hamburger with five pickles.”  He grinned as he entered it in.  He then asked, “What else?”  I replied, “I would like a small fries, well done, with Big Mac sauce.”  Again he smiled, and finished entering the order.  I was surprised that he didn’t protest. 
He then left the cashier and shouted to the worker in the back, “a hamburger with FIVE pickles!”   The manager took care of getting the fries.  Bag in hand, the cashier came towards me and asked, “Do you really want the Big Mac sauce?” I nodded.  He then took a lid to the worker got the Big Mac sauce for me.  While he was gone, I noticed that the receipt only said “1 XTRA$ PICKLE” and the French fries weren’t marked “well done.” 
When the cashier returned, I pointed this out to him and asked if there was any way to change it.  He said, “No, we can’t do that.”  I asked him if he was sure, and again he shook his head and again said that there’s no way.  I stood there not knowing what to say; there was some awkwardness.  The manager was walking around and so I asked her the same question.  She too, shook her head.   I then suggested entering the pickle code five times. The cashier then said some things to her in Spanish, and at the end said, “You can’t do that, right?” 
The manager walked up to the cashier and tried entering the order in.  After a few presses, she produced the receipt that I wanted.  The cashier then had to tell the food preparation worker to not fulfill the order just entered.  I thanked the manager and cashier and then sat down to make sure the order was correct.  It was.  There were five pickles on the hamburger and a grill slip accompanying the wrapper.  There were the ‘well done’ fries and the Big Mac sauce. 
I’d have to say that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.  I think the cashier has been working there for some time.  I was treated like any other customer.  The wait for the order was quick, within 2 minutes.  The receipt correction took around 4 minutes, though. 
If I were hired as a management consultant, I’d make sure that the cashiers have a thorough knowledge of the menus.  Yet the cashier that placed my order seemed to be very familiar with the system.  If I had to rate the staff, I’d say that both the cashier and manager are on par with each other. 
In terms of training, I think the employees were trained well – more than adequate.  The reason why I say this is that I’ve experienced some cashiers that will tell you flat-out no just because an item is not on their screen.   Both my cashier and manager knew how to ‘manipulate’ the system and remedy it manually.  They are effective in that sense.  However, they are flawed in customer service when something can’t be done.  It seems that the only explanation to the customer is “No, we can’t.”  There’s no elaboration.  For less than special orders, this could present a problem. 
In terms of organization, there were effective in preparing the order.  However, the workflow is not optimized to take many special orders.  The McDonald’s system of entering orders and food preparation is meant to be separate, meaning that a successful order should not require the two stations to communicate (the computers do that).  A single ‘special’ order would require the manager, cashier, and food prep worker to be involved.  This detracts from McDonald’s efficient assembly line method.  When we have special orders like these, the process moves closer to being a service. For special orders like these, I would have the cashier call out the order to the food preparation section.  While it may not be the most elegant solution, it’ll get the job done without involving a manager.  The customer will then get their orders faster. 
The communication between employees was very good.  Like I mentioned before, the order was successfully made even though the initial receipt didn’t reflect the exact order.  I asked the cashier how the system works after my order.  I wondered if the food workers in the back would be confused by other ‘special’ orders. He said that they don’t – because the hanging computer screens show exactly what the order is. 
The communication with the customer may not be enough.  When the cashier and manager are met with doubt or difficulty, they simply say, “We can’t.”  Imagine if a customer representative said the same, “we can’t” and just hangs up the phone?  We, as customers, would be furious!  At the same time, I could understand that the customer may not want to understand all the processes; it may also be against company policy to reveal processes.  Saying something like, “I’ll try what I can, but I can’t guarantee that I can fulfill that order” would inform the customer that at least: (1) the cashier has made an attempt and that (2) if the machine denies the request it is not within their power to change it.
The closest thing resembling leadership during that order was when the manager stepped up to input the order herself.  I think she did the right thing by at least trying before denying.  Leadership isn’t a necessary skill to work at McDonalds. I say that because it’s a stable workplace – most orders are input the same way.  There are manuals for operating machines.  That being said, leadership is necessary to keep customers happy, and therefore keeping the franchise open for business.  The cashier could have tried to modify the order manually without the manager’s consent, but doing so would be risking his employment. 

3 comments:

  1. Like you said Cheuk, I was pretty surprised with how well the process went as well. McDonald's proved itself to me this weekend with how well they run their business from the employees knowledge, the ordering process, and the service. It was such a long time since I had been their, but it was good to rekindle the relationship with McIdee's. The only issue I had was like yours with the receipt. The only difference was that the manager told me they couldn't go back and reprint the receipt, yours took the time and effort to do so. Which kind of aggravates me to tell you the truth lol Being lied to by the manager. Anyway, I was pretty happy to smear big mac sauce on everything like I used to do growing up, forgot how much fun it is and how good it tastes! Yummmmmyyyyyyy!!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! That's good that you kept insisting on the special input! In which area of New York did you go to for your McDonald's? At the branch I went to, the manager repeatedly said that it was not possible to input those special requests. I was confused at first, because as we've heard in class, this should be possible. However, for some reason, he said that this branch did not have the possibility to do that. Later in the evening, my roommate said that she had previously worked there and that it's not possible. I wonder if it really does depend on the branch, or if there may be another manual way of inputting this that the manager didn't know about or was trained to do? That is also possible.
    I also like your way of saying that the customers shouldn't be met with "I can’t," but rather that they will try to do what they can. I agree that employees with good customer service should do this, and not deny a special request instantly. They should be nice and accommodating to customers, and make them feel important and taken seriously, even with unusual orders.
    I liked reading your blog. It was interesting to see another result from our assignment, and reading it written from another point-of-view. It was a well-written report. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see that you had a good experience at McDonald's as well. All the employees were nice and served food fast. Yes, I think they all gave us :"What the hell you ordering?" kind of look but hey it was ll worth it. For them to print out my receipt correctly I also had to repeat my order at least four times and I also got some resistance at first but the manager saved me. Overall, it was a good experience. I was treated very respectful and all the employees were very patient. So as in your situation as I can see. I get worse treatment sometimes at some upscale places, sad to say. Actually, it was the third time I EVER went to McDonald's ! And I was pleasantly surprised by good service and lack of nasty attitude. You did a great job with your report. Good Luck in class!

    ReplyDelete